Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Dreamer's Inspiration



There are so many factors that influence us; different situations, people, and events. These things shape who and what we will become, what path we will take in life and if we chose to take a detour into something else. Whether I am shaping my dreams, doubting them or changing them, there are key individuals I always keep in mind. I’d like to share with you my biggest inspirations so far.  

Jerramy Fine
I first heard of Ms. Fine a few years ago when her book, “The Regal Rules for Girls” came out.  Finally someone who had dreamt of moving across the Atlantic as much as I did! She was unashamedly honest as she described her love for all things British, including the dashing Peter Phillips, and her quest to achieve her heart’s desire was nothing short of inspiring. She has her critics, those who claim she is setting feminism back, that her dreams are just childish, and those that just plain disagree with everything she stands for. Through all the naysayers, the hardships, and the triumphs, she’s persevered and shared her story with other like-minded girls who just want to jump the pond in search of home. I believe Ms. Fine to be of a new breed of woman, the ones that have open minds while adhering to the traditions of old, maintaining a clear path and plan but still throwing caution to the wind when called for to achieve their dreams. A 21st century mind coupled with the tried and true ideas of old. She is and always will be the compass pointing me towards my dreams.
Amy

I have mentioned Amy before in a previous blog post, but she’s inspiring enough to warrant another mention! I first met Amy back in 2005, when I was still at university, and my dreams were just beginning to form. She was this juggernaut of positive energy and from day one has always told me to go for it. As I’ve said earlier, she has recently packed up her family and moved to the sunny coast of Costa Rica. Sun, sand and fresh food galore! The move hasn’t always gone as smooth as she would like (read her post about her boarder run!) she has had her fair share of ups and downs and she’s persevered through them all, always with a positive outlook and always, ALWAYS, listening to my constant ramblings of can I? Should I? I can...I can’t. What if?? I can firmly say that I would not be on this path today if it weren’t for her. 


My Friends!

Of course I couldn’t end this without thanking everyone who’s given me advice over the last year. I am blessed to have a wonderful group of friends that have helped me decide, hash out details, tell me when I’m being ridiculous or encouraging every dream I have. We’ve stared for two days straight at a door (royal baby), had a bit too much to drink whilst watching the Academy Awards, pretended to be, as she puts it “white girl ghetto fabulous”,  and some of us even received birthday cards with a certain Benedict on them. I could not have asked for a better, more inspirational group of friends. So many of them are chasing down their own dreams this year, interning with local government, running their websites, a few are even crossing the pond with me, ending up in London and Paris! It’s not always easy, but it’s always worth it. Who are your inspirations? How have they shaped your dreams?

tea drops,

samantha

2 comments:

  1. Thanks Sam! Follow your dreams....that is what life is made of!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great post, it's always great to share your inspirations. I still need to read Jerramy's book! x

    ReplyDelete