Tuesday, June 3, 2014

5 To Know-Cheylene-Girl in London

I am thrilled to bring you my very first interview with Cheylene from the blog Girl in London. Cheylene moved to London several years ago in search of a new adventure, and since then has made travel and adventure her main priority. In 2011 she wrote an article 'Musings: Why I Left the USA' and it really struck a chord with me. Someone who saw the faults in the system, who wasn't blinded by the promise of the ever deteriorating "American Dream".  She was someone who knew she could find a better life for herself in a different country and proceeded to do just that. So I was thrilled when she agreed to answer my 5 to Know. 5 to Know is a new series where I ask travelers and ex-pats 5 questions about their travels, thoughts on their new country, why they left, how are they different now and so on. Check out what Cheylene has to say! 




What fears, if any, did you have before you left the US?

I didn’t have time to be afraid! I went from turning in my visa application to hopping on a plane in a matter of months. There was so much going on in that time frame that I honestly had no time to reflect and think about my fears. I do remember, however, sitting on the plane as it took off and thinking this better work because there’s no going back now!


What are the top 3 things you wish you had known before you went abroad?

1.       US/UK Taxes – US expats still have to file taxes in the US and navigating how to file taxes in two different countries that have different tax years was mind boggling at first. It would have helped to study up on that a bit more before actually moving and earning a foreign paycheck.

2.        Where to buy stuff – It sounds trivial, but knowing where to go to buy household goods, clothes, etc. is so important. Not knowing this made life really difficult for the first few months.

3.       Neighborhood info (i.e. best places to live) – I did some research on this before moving, but not enough to avoid getting stuck in a less-than-optimal rental. Part of the reason why I wrote a whole series of neighborhood guides on my site was to help give future expats an idea of what to expect from different areas of London. 


Is there anything in particular you miss about the US or do you find yourself missing very little? Are you surprised at your response?

I didn’t really miss anything about the US for the first year or two, apart from the food. As time goes on – I’ve been here nearly four years now – I find myself watching US television shows and getting almost teary eyed when I see shots of California, the Southwest, and other places I used to live. That comes as a big surprise because I’ve moved around my whole life and never considered myself to be attached to any one location. I guess I’m not as tough as I thought I was!


In what way has living in other countries changed you? Mentally? Emotionally? Do you think you are better off now?

The reason I moved abroad was because I wanted to grow mentally, emotionally, and professionally. Living in a different country changes the way you think about the world and yourself. I see myself more as a citizen of the world than I did in the US. The great part about living in London is having the opportunity to meet so many people from all kinds of different backgrounds and countries, and I think all that exposure has really helped me to grow up and take charge of my life. 


Do you ever regret your decision to leave the US or find yourself asking, ‘what if I had stayed?’? If not, and besides the obvious (work, family) what is it about the UK that makes you stay?

As much as I sometimes miss parts of the US, I have no regrets about leaving. I have a pretty good idea of where I would have ended up had I stayed, and I think I’ve done much better for myself on the other side of the pond. The professional opportunities are what keep me in the UK, and in London in particular. I am also currently on course to gain UK citizenship in the next 2-3 years, which is beneficial for a number of different reasons.


Watch for more 5 to Know in the future!

tea drops,

samantha

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for featuring me Samantha! I look forward to hearing about your journey! Be sure to get in touch next time you find yourself in London :)

    ReplyDelete